Office 365 Unlicensed Product Error

This has been an on going issue for most people using Office 365 licensed Office products since the beginning.

After a period of time (Sometimes a password change sets it off) Your user might get the error (Unlicensed Product) in the banner when opening an Office product like Word or Outlook.

There are two different fixes, one for Office 2010 & another for Office 2013.

You need to open a command prompt (I would elevate) and run the following.

Office 2010

32bit: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE14\OSAUI.exe /F

64bit: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE14\OSAUI.exe /F”

Office 2013:

You need to go to one of these locations first and then run the script below

32bit: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office 15\

64bit: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15\

Now run: cscript OSPP.vbs /act

This should bring up am activation window which should show “Successful” after completing.

Hopefully this will help you solve your Office 365 Office Licensing issue.

Update 14/07/2015

I have since had issues where the above does not resolve the issue for Microsoft Office 2013. Where this occurred I have done the following which seems to work ok.

run: cscript OSPP.vbs /dstatus

This will show you the status and last 5 digits of each license key. Now locate the installation that won’t install properly.

Now run: cscript OSPP.vbs /unpkey:Last 5 Digits Of key

(Example: cscript OSPP.vbs /unpkey:4B44N3)

*Note: You can just run this for each of the installations, but be aware you will need the license keys or accounts to reactivate*

Once you have run those commands I recommend rebooting the machine and then right clicking on Word and selecting “Run as administrator”. This should hopefully re-prompt the Office activation window an you can sign into Office 365

~ by TechKiwi on August 19, 2013.

17 Responses to “Office 365 Unlicensed Product Error”

  1. Thanks! MS Tech Chat was not able to fix the issue after over 20 minutes of “suggestions” that did not work. I have no idea why the error occurred though. Thanks again for a simple and workable solution.

  2. My goodness! Finally a fix for this that actually worked! who knows how long it’ll stay that way though

    • This works really well I have only had it double up once.

      I believe the issue or now caused when they let their password for 365 expire and it doesn’t pick up that it has been reset until you run this process.

      Thanks for the feedback!

  3. You are a god, thanks!!! I was on hold with Microsoft for an hour, then I found your post, thanks so much!

  4. Thanks worked perfectly

  5. I am glad it worked for some, but it did not work for me. Can I deactivate this version and reinstall it? Will that give the desired result?

  6. Thanks for the helpful hints! One correction, you have a space in the 32 bit Office 2013 address, should be just Office15. worked like a charm!

  7. Thank you!
    Very relieved

  8. Good day I am so happy I found your blog page, I really found you by mistake, while I was searching on
    Aol for something else, Regardless I am here now and would
    just like to say thanks for a incredible post and
    a all round entertaining blog (I also love the theme/design),
    I don’t have time to browse it all at the minute but
    I have book-marked it and also included your RSS feeds,
    so when I have time I will be back to read a lot more, Please do keep up the
    fantastic jo.

  9. Freakin’ AWESOME!!! Thanks – worked like a charm.

  10. How do run the cscript?

  11. This worked! Thank you!

  12. For me simply running word as administrator caused the red bar to disappear and a message appear saying the product had been activated

  13. guys hi
    i made everything as above…nothing..from where you running the script?

  14. […] Office 365 Unlicensed Product Error | Techkiwi’s Blog – 16 Responses to “Office 365 Unlicensed Product Error” Thanks! MS Tech Chat was not able to fix the issue after over 20 minutes of “suggestions” that did not work. […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

%d bloggers like this: